It was a few days _1_ Christmas, do when the office closed at half past five, most of the young men and typists _2_ and had a party. They ate and drank, _3_ and sang songs, and nobody _4 _ to go home. But Joe had a wife at home, and _5 quite a long way _6 _the city. 7 few minutes he looked at his watch. And at last, when it was very late, he began to leave.
1. A. after B. before C. on D. in
2. A. stay B. leftC. stayed D. leave
3. A. dancedB. dancingC. danceD. was dancing
4. A. wantsB.wantedC. is wantingD. was wanting
5. A. livesB. livingC. was livedD. lived
6. A. fromB. atC. inD. away
7. A. AfterB. InC. AD. Every
快速通读全问候，我们会知道1、此文主要叙述值Christmas之际，Joe 和他的朋友们下班后had a party, 而Joe 惦念着他妻子想离开回家的事。2、所填内容主要与时态、搭配有关。3、文章几乎没有生词，难度不大。这样心中有底后，就很容易确定：1. B2.C3. A4. B5. D6. A7. D是正确的答案。
Mirages (海市蜃楼) are produced by refraction of light within a layer of air. This layer of _1_ resists breaking up, even in a fairly strong wind.
Probably the most typical mirage picture is _2_ of a lake in a waterless desert. There may even be the appearance of waves breaking on the shore. The easiest form of mirage to study, however, is one _3_ has been seen by millions of people—those seeming strips of water on asphalt—surfaced roads that disappear suddenly when one approaches _4 _.
The scientist considers the long distance mirage _5 the most puzzling of mirage forms, since it nullifies (使无效) a basic law of physics. The law _6 that the apparent size of an object seems smaller as we move away from it; however, this kind of mirage will carry a picture of a ship, a town, or an island a thousand miles and set it up in the sky as big _7 _life.
Mirages may have had an effect on history: a World War I story deals with a battle _8 the Turks and the British. Supposedly, the stronger Turkish army was gaining the advantage when one of the soldiers 9 that British troops were advancing. After a hurried meeting, the Turkish forces withdrew. In reality there were no advancing British troops—what had been reported was a mirage _10 men who were a hundred miles away.
1. A. lightB. refractionC. airD. mirage
2. A. thoseB. oneC. anyD. some
3. A. asB. whatC. itD. that
4. A. themB. itC. thatD. those
5. A. asB. throughC. forD. to
6. A. dealsB. directsC. noticesD. states
7. A. likeB. forC. asD. with
8. A. withinB. amongC. betweenD. against
9. A. reportedB. impliedC. spokeD. suggested
10. A. observingB. showingC. appearingD. noting
由于有一些生词，这篇短文显得有些难度。但如果考生有关于Mirages的背景知识，或善于联系上下文，这篇文章的答案选择却不难下手。1处的答案正存在于首句中的“a layer of air”中，选C。2处根据题干可断定是答案B。3处考的是定语从句的关系代词，该词在句中做主句，又接在不定代词one后面，因此选D。4处指代前面的those seeming strips of water, 则选A。5处考的是词组搭配，选A。6处根据整句意思，可将选项代入题干进行选择，则为D。7处考核的也是固定搭配，填C。8处指两者之间，选C。9处是词汇考核，应选A。10处根据上下文，观察选项，可排除A、C、D，选B。