Directions: After reading the following passage, you will find 5 questions or unfinished statements, marked 36 to 40. For each question or statement there are 4 choices marked A, B, C and D. You should make the correct choice and mark the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet with a single line through the center.
It is often difficult for a man to be quite sure what tax（税）he ought to pay to the government because it depends on so many different things: whether the man is married; how many children he has; whether he supports any relations; how much he earns; how much interest he receives; how much he has spent on his house during the year, and so on and so forth. All this makes it difficult to decide exactly how much the tax is.
There was a certain artist who was always very careful to pay the proper amount.
One year, after posting his check as usual, he began to wonder if he had paid enough, and after a lot of work, with a pencil and paper, decided that he had not. He believed that he owed the government something.
He was just writing another check to sent to the tax-collector when the postman dropped a letter into the box at the front door. Opening it, the artist was surprised to find inside it a check for five pounds from the tax-collector. The official explained that too much had been paid, and that therefore the difference was now returned to the taxpayer.
36. According to the passage, to decide the exact amount of tax to be paid is _________.
37. It is mentioned in the passage that one has to pay tax according to ________.
A、how much education on has received
B、whether one is single or married
C、how old one’s children are
D、where one lives
38. The word “proper” in the first line of the second paragraph means ________.
39. After a lot of work, the artist thought that he had paid the government_____.
A、less tax than he should have
B、more tax than he should have
C、as much tax as usual
D、just enough tax
40. Why did the tax-collector send a letter to the artist?
A、To send him a new tax form.
B、To return the money over-paid
C、To remind him of paying the tax.
D、To explain the rules of tax-paying.
Directions: This task is the same as Task 1. The 5 questions or unfinished statements are numbered 41 to 45.
When you are cooking with a pressure cooker, you should learn a few common sense（常识）rules:
1. Never leave the cooker unwatched when it is in use.
2. Add sufficient liquid but never past the recommended fill point. Overfilling the cooker may block the vent pipe (排气孔) and cause the cooker to explode.
3. Set the cooking time. Too much time may overcook the food or too much pressure may build up the cooker. Too little time will lead to undercooked food.
4. If you are new to pressure cooking, follow the cooking instructions carefully. Heat and time can either result in a great meal or a ruined one.
5. Never try to force a pressure cooker cover open. Allow the cooker to cool or run it under cool water before trying to open the cover.
6. Clean the cooker thoroughly after each use. Mild detergent (洗涤剂) and hot water work the best. Do not use stove ash or sand for they may damage the cooker. The gasket (密封圈) is best cleaned in warm soapy water and then dried. Store the gasket in the bottom of the pot.
41. According to the first rule, the user should __________.
A、keep the cooker under close watch
B、always keep the cooker half full
C、never leave the cooker empty
D、never turn off the stove
42. According to the second rule, too much liquid in the cooker may result in _________.
A、a ruined meal
C、too little pressure
D、a blocked vent pipe
43. According to the fifth rule, a pressure cooker cover should be opened _________.
A、as soon as the cooking is finished
B、while it is still on the stove
C、with force when it is hot
D、after it is cooled down
44. According to the instructions, which of the following is TRUE?
A、The gasket should be cleaned thoroughly with cold water.
B、Mild detergent and hot water can best clean the cooker.
C、Soapy water will often damage the cooker.
D、Sand can be used to clean the cooker.
45. Which of the following operations may be dangerous?
A、Overfilling the cooker with food and water.
B、Cleaning the cooker with detergent.
C、Cooling the cooker with cold water.
D、Setting too little cooking time.
Directions: The following is an advertisement. After reading it, you should complete the information by filling in the blanks marker 46 to 50 in not more than 3 words in the table below.
When someone is sick at home, the mother usually makes the first diagnosis （诊断）. So we do everything we can to give her all the information she needs.
Take Columbia One Source. It’s our monthly magazine which outlines practical ways to live a healthier life.
Then there’s our website on the Internet that provides doctors’ advice and other healthcare information.
Of course, if you ever need more than just information, Columbia One Source offers our patients the special knowledge of the nation’s largest network of homecare services, hospitals and outpatient surgery（门诊手术）centers.
Our goal is to provide a series of services possible.
For more information, see our site on the Web or call 1-800-Columbia for a doctor’s treatment or to get your free copy of Columbia One Source.
Columbia One Source
Services offered by Columbia One Source:
Information on(46)to live a healthier life
Doctors’ advice and other(47).
Special knowledge of the nation’s(48)of homecare services.
Ways to get more information from Columbia One Source:
See the site on (49)
call 1-800-Columbia for a doctor’s treatment
get a (50) of Columbia One Source
Directions: The following is a list of terms frequently used in medical services. After reading it, you are required to find the items equivalent to (与……等同)those given in Chinese in the list below. Then you should put the corresponding letters in brackets on the Answer Sheet, numbered 51 through 55.
A--- severe pain
C--- skin test
D--- blood test
E--- eyesight test
F--- sick-leave certificate
H--- blood pressure
K--- heart disease
M--- mental disease
N--- nervous disease
O--- lung disease
P--- high fever
Example: (N) 神经疾病 (K) 感染
Directions: There is an advertisement blow. After reading it, you are required to complete the statements that follow the questions (No. 56 to No. 60). You should write your answers in no more than 3 words on the Answer Sheet correspondingly.
Fly with Singapore Airlines to Australia and you could win free tickets.
There is a winner every day from January 1st to April 30th 2005.
Lucky Promotion （促销）
Fly between January 1st and April 30th 2005, and you could win free tickets daily, plus a chance to win one of the 2 Great Prizes:
First Prize: One pair of First Class return tickets on Singapore Airlines to any of our destinations （目的地）in Australia, 5 nights’ accommodation（住宿）in a 5-star hotel and US $ 5000 cash.
Second Prize: One pair of Business Class return tickets on Singapore Airlines to any of our destinations in Australia, 5 nights’ accommodation in a 5-star hotel and US$ 3000 cash.
Plan your holiday to Australia on Singapore Airlines now and try your luck for the good chance!
For more information, contact the Singapore Airlines office at your place or visit our websites at www.singaporeair.com or www. australia.com.
56. How long does the Lucky Promotion last?
From January 1st to
57. What could you win if you fly with Singapore Airlines within the period mentioned?
You could win
every day, plus a chance to win great prizes.
58. How many First Class return tickets can you get if you win the first prize?
59. What kind of hotel can you stay in free of charge if you win a second prize?
60. Where can you get more information about the promotion?
or visit its websites.