Directions: After reading the following passage, you will find 5 questions or unfinished statements, marked 36 to 40. For each question or statement there are 4 choices marked A, B, C and D. You should make the correct choice and mark the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet with a single line through the center.
The eight airlines of the One-world alliance (联盟) have joined forces to give world travelers a simple way to plan and book a round-the world journey. It’s called the One-world Explorer program.
One-world Explorer is the perfect solution for a once-in-a-lifetime holiday or an extended business trip. It’s a great way for you to explore the four corners of the earth in the safe hands of the eight One-world airlines.
You can have hundreds of destinations to choose from, because the One-world network covers the globe. And, as you travel around the world, you’ll have the support of 260,000 people from all our airlines, who are devoted to the success of your journey, helping you make smooth transfers and offering support all along the way.
The One-world goal is to make global travel easier and more rewarding for everyone of our travelers. We try our best to make you fell at home, no matter how far from home your journey may take you.
We can offer travelers benefits on a scale beyond the reach of our individual networks. You’ll find more people and more information to guide you at every stage of your trip, making transfers smoother and global travel less of a challenge.
36. One-world in the passage refers to ____________.
A、 a travel agency
B、 a union of airlines
C、 a series of tourist attractions
D、 the title of a flight program
37. The One-world Explorer program is said to be most suitable for those who ___________
A、 have been to the four corners of the earth
B、 travel around the world on business
C、 want to explore the eight airlines
D、 need support all along the way
38. The advantage of the alliance lies in ________________.
A、 its detailed travel information
B、 its unique booking system
C、 its longest business flights
D、 its global service network
39. We can learn from the last paragraph that One-world____________
A、 offers the lowest prices to its passengers
B、 keeps passengers better informed of its operations
C、 offers better services than any of its member airlines alone
D、 is intended to make round-the-world trips more challenging
40. The purpose of the advertisement is to _____________.
A、 promote a special flight program
B、 recommend long distance flights
C、 introduce different flights
D、 describe an airlines group
Directions: This task is the same as Task 1. The 5 questions or unfinished statements are numbered 41 to 45.
The human body has developed its millions of nerves to be highly aware of what goes on both inside and outside of it. This helps us adjust to the outside world. Without our nerves and our brain, which is a system of nerves, we couldn’t know what’s happening. But we pay for our sensitivity. We can feel pain when the slightest thing is wrong with any part of our body. The history of torture (折磨) is based on the human body being open to pain.
But there is a way to handle pain. Look at the Indian fakir (苦行僧) who sits on a bed of nails. Fakirs can put a needle right through an arm, and feel no pain. This ability that some humans have developed to handle pain should give us ideas about how the mind can deal with pain.
The big thing in withstanding pain is our attitude toward it. If the dentist says, “This will hurt a little,” it helps us to accept the pain. By staying relaxed, and by treating the pain as an interesting sensation (感觉)， we can handle the pain without falling apart. After all, although pain is an unpleasant sensation, it is still a sensation, and sensations are the stuff of life.
41. The human body has developed a system of nerves that enables us to ____________.
42. What does the writer mean by saying “we pay for our sensitivity” in the first paragraph?
A、 We have to take care of our sense of pain.
B、 We suffer from our sense of feeling.
C、 We should try hard to resist pain.
D、 We are hurt when we feel pain.
43. When the author mentions the Indian fakir, he shows that ________.
A、 Fakirs possess magic power
B、Indians are not afraid of pain
C、 people can learn to cope with pain
D、 some people are born without a sense of pain
44. What is essential for people to stand pain according to the writer?
45. The author believes that________________.
A、 feeling pain is part of our life
B、 pain should be avoided at all costs
C、 feeling pain can be an interesting thing
D、magic power is essential for reducing pain
Directions: The following is an advertisement. After reading it, you should complete the information by filling in the blanks marker 46 to 50 in not more than 3 words in the table below.
PLR Air Conditioning Center
27 West Street
IA America 50705
March 6, 2004
Ms. Li Chunhua, President
New Era Engineering Group
26 Renmin Street
Yangzhou, Jiangsu, China
Dear Ms. Li:
Thank you very much for allowing us to present to you our recommendation for a PLR Air Conditioning System. We would like also to express our appreciation to Mr. Zhang and Mrs. Wu for their help as we collected the data necessary for this proposal.
After thoroughly analyzing your company’s engineering requirements, we believe that you will find this proposed PLR system satisfactory. It will provide the maximum return on your investment dollar. In addition, the PLR system protects you against obsolescence (过时) in the near future---if your business continues to experience the normal growth you have experienced in the last few years---because the equipment PLR proposes to install is a modular (模块的) design to which you may add additional units as the need arises.
We believe that you will find this system practical, efficient, and economical for the needs of your company both now and in the near future. It is our sincere hope that the information in the enclosed proposal will make your decision to install a PLR Air Conditioning System much easier.
James P. Callahan
Directions: There is an advertisement blow. After reading it, you are required to complete the statements that follow the questions (No. 56 to No. 60). You should write your answers in no more than 3 words on the Answer Sheet correspondingly.
We hope that by observing the following points you will enjoy your visit to Christ Church without disturbing the life of the college.
- Please obey all notices and do not enter the areas marked Private.
- Please do not enter any college rooms.
- Please avoid leaving litter (杂物); picnicking within the college is not permitted.
- Please do not smoke.
- Please do not gather so as to obstruct (阻塞) paths or passages, particularly in the Hall.
- Please be as quiet as possible, remembering that this is a college where people are working.
- In the event of a fire or other danger, or if you hear a fire alarm or warning, please leave the building without delay. At all times please follow the advice of the Custodians (保安人员) who are here to help you.
- Closed circuit television surveillance (监视) is in operation. Images are being recorded for purposes of crime prevention and public safety.
- Thank you for visiting Christ Church. If you have any comments please write to:
The Steward, Christ Church, Oxford OX1 1DP??
56.What is the name of the place open to tourists?
57. Which areas are not allowed for tourists to visit?
and any college rooms.
58. What is not permitted to do during the visit to the college?
inside the college or smoking, etc..
59. What should tourists do in the event of a fire or any other danger?
They should leave the building and
of the Custodians.
60. Why is closed circuit television surveillance in operation?
and ensure public safety.