Directions: After reading the following passage, you will find 5 questions or unfinished statements, marked 36 to 40. For each question or statement there are 4 choices marked A, B, C and D. You should make the correct choice and mark the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet with a single line through the center.
Most of us grow up taking certain things for granted. We tend to assume that experts and religious leaders tell us “the truth”. We tend to believe that things advertised on television or in newspapers can’t be bad for us.
However, encouragement of critical thinking in students is one of the goals of most colleges and universities. Few professors require students to share the professors’ own beliefs. In general, professors are more concerned that students learn to question and critically examine the arguments of others, including some of their own beliefs or values. This does not mean that professors insist that you change your beliefs, either. I t does mean, however, that professors will usually ask you to support the views you express in class or in your writing.
If your premises (前提) are shaky, or if your arguments are not logical, professors personally point out the false reasoning in your arguments. Most professors want you to learn to recognize the premises of your arguments, to examine whether you really accept these premises, and to understand whether or not you draw logical conclusions. Put it this way: Professors don’t tell you what to think; they try to teach you how to think.
On the other hand, if you intend to disagree with your professors in class, you should be prepared to offer a strong argument in support of your ideas. Arguing just for the sake of arguing usually does not promote a critical examination of ideas. Many professors interpret it as rudeness.
36. In the first paragraph, the writer tries to tell us that people _______.
A、 easily accept certain things without a second thought
B、 grow up through learning certain things in life
C、 are forming their views during their growth
D、 have strong beliefs in authorities while getting old
37. Nowadays, most colleges and universities encourage students to ____________.
A、 criticize others
B、share professors’ beliefs
C、give their own ideas
D、change their own beliefs
38. The word “shaky” (Line 1, Para.3) most probably means “___________”.
39. To help students develop their critical thinking, professors mainly teach them ____________.
A、 choice of their premises
B、 the way to think independently
C、 skills of drawing conclusions
D、 different kinds of arguments
40. According to the writer, the right way to argue is to _____________.
A、argue mainly for the sake of arguing
B、 prove it with a good conclusion
C、 support your idea with sound reasoning
D、 examine others’ ideas critically
Directions: This task is the same as Task 1. The 5 questions or unfinished statements are numbered 41 to 45.
Human cloning (克隆) technology could be used to reverse heart attacks. Scientists believe that they may be able to treat heart attack victims by cloning their healthy heart cells and injecting them into the areas of the heart that have been damaged, and other problems may be solved if human cloning and its technology are not forbidden.
- With cloning, infertile couples could have children. Current treatments for infertility, in terms of percentages (百分比)， are not very successful. Couples go through physically and emotionally painful procedures for a small chance of having children. Many couples run out of time and money without successfully having children. Human cloning could make it possible for many more infertile couples to have children than ever more.
- We should be able to clone the bone marrow (骨髓) for children and adults suffering from leukemia (白血病). This is expected to be one of the first benefits to come from cloning technology.
- We may learn how to switch cells on and off through cloning and thus be able to cure cancer.
- Cloning technology can be used to test for and perhaps cure gene related diseases.
The above is just a few examples of what human cloning technology can do for mankind. This new technology promises unprecedented advancement in medicine if people will release their fears and let the benefits begin.
41. Heart attacks can be treated with human cloning technology by ___________.
A、removing the damaged part of the heart
B、replacing the old heart with a cloned one
C、repairing the heart with cells cloned from healthy ones
D、giving the patients injections of various medicines
42. The word “infertile” (Line 1, Para.2) most probably means “_________”.
A、 unable to give birth to a child
B、 with physical and emotional problems
C、 short of time and money
D、 separated from each other for long
43. According to the passage, one of the first expected benefits from cloning technology may be in __________.
A、 the treatment of heart attacks
B、 the bearing of babies
C、 the cure of blood diseases
D、 the detection of gene related diseases
44. Cancer may be cured with the cloning technology by _________.
A、 attacking the diseased called with healthy ones
B、 controlling the growth of the cells
C、 detecting disordered genes in the cancer cells
D、 activating cancer cells by switching them on
45. According to the writer, the main problem with the development of human cloning technology is that _______.
A、 it may be out of human control
B、 it has brought about few benefits so far
C、 people still know little about it
D、 people are afraid of such technology
Directions: The following is an advertisement. After reading it, you should complete the information by filling in the blanks marker 46 to 50 in not more than 3 words in the table below.
A local telephone directory is sometimes called the White Pages. This directory provides an alphabetic listing of names and telephone numbers and other telephone reference information. The front pages usually contain information about area codes; billing; customer service; directory assistance (帮助); local, long-distance, and international calls; time zones; rates; emergency numbers; and other items relating to telephone use.
The next section of the telephone directory typically contains the residence listings, or entries of community residents. The third section contains business listings or entries of local business and organizations. In some less populated (人口不稠密的) or rural areas, the residence and business listings may be combined in one section.
Some local directories contain listings of local, state and federal (联邦的) government offices and agencies. These listings might be united into the business listing section, or they may be in a separate section of the phone book. These government listings typically are arranged by the name of the state government and then by departments or agencies.
There is an Invitation for Bids (投标书) below. After reading it, you should give brief answers to the 5 questions (No. 56 through 60) that follow. The answers (in not more than 3 words) should be written after the corresponding numbers on the Answer Sheet.
INSTERIMPEX International Tendering Company (CNITC)
INVITATION FOR BIDS (IFB)
Baiyun Airport Relocation Project
In accordance with the Loan Agreement between the Ministry of Finance of the People’s Republic of China and Japan Bank for International Cooperation for Baiyun Airport Relocation Project, INSTRIMPEX International Tendering （招标） Company (CNIITC) is authorized to purchase, by way of calling for international competitive bidding, the commodities and related services for the above mentioned project. The payment fro the purchase shall be made under the Loan.
BID No. 0717-CICJP024209B
Terminal Passenger Boarding Bridges
BID No. 0703 ICJ02012227
Electrical Management System
Interested bidders may obtain Bidding Documents between 9:00 and 11:00 a.m./1:30 and 4:30 p.m. (Beijing time) from November 22 to December 12, 2002 (except weekends and holidays) at CNIITC office, upon non-refundable (不退还的) payment of RMB ￥1800 for Electrical Management System. For mail order, an extra RMB ￥450 express (快递) mail postage shall be added.
Bids must be delivered to the CNIITC office at or before 10:00 a.m. (Beijing Time) on January 10, 2003, and will be opened at 10:00 a.m. (Beijing Time) on January 10, 2003 at the following address. CNIITC Office Address:
Rm 317, Instrimpex Buiding , 6 Xizhimenwai Street, Beijing 100044, China
Tel: (86-10)68363322 ext.3010,3020 Fax: (86-10)68317392,68354383
56.What is the name of the project for bids?
57. Which company is in charge of the bidding?
International Tendering Company.
58. What is the item of BID No. 0703-CDCICJ02012227?
59. What will the bidders obtain Bidding Documents?
60. What is the deadline for delivering the bids?
At or before 10:00 a.m. (Beijing Time ) on